Paperwork to expect when renting in the UK


Most people who are relocated through their company, move into long term, executive rental apartments or houses.

Even if the individual in question has previously visited the UK, they are likely to have visited on holiday or through spending time with friends or family.

Living and working in the country is a completely different proposition. There are so many things to adjust to and understand such as; the crime statistics when deciding where to live, the traffic, commuting times and costs when wrestling with how to get to work, as well as where to go for your hobbies and leisure pursuits. And if the employee relocating has children education is an important factor.

There is also the paperwork and documents that are required when you are renting apartments or houses in the UK to be aware of.

Tenancy Agreement and Inventory

Tenancy agreements and inventories are both important documents. The Tenancy Agreement covers the legal terms and responsibilities for both the Landlord/Landlady and the tenant.

The Inventory or Check-in Report is a schedule of the house or apartment, room by room giving the condition of the room, including walls, floors, light fittings and other fitments and fittings. This should be prepared by an Independent Inventory Clerk a day or two before your tenancy commencement. It can be e-mailed to you or posted to your new home. The report should be very accurate and detailed, as the Inventory is the official document used when a tenancy ends to determine if any fair and reasonable deductions need to be made from your security deposit (usually the equivalent of 6 weeks rent).


All tenants over the age of 18 will be required to complete a reference form. This is to confirm your identity, credit history, employment status and salary or immigration status.

Official Documents in the UK

There is no National Registration or ID in the UK, so it can prove difficult to open a UK bank account until you have a UK address. Premier Corporate Relocation Services can offer advice and details of the banks who offer Global and Ex-pat banking solutions.

With Internet banking you can start a tenancy in the UK without a UK bank account. However, companies that provide services you may wish to use in your rental property, such as Sky or Virgin Media for internet access and entertainment, will not let you open an account until you have a UK bank account.

Once you have moved into your property you will receive bills for council tax, water rates, gas and electricity, which can then be used as your proof of address in the UK. They will be required to register at a Doctors' (GP) Practice, get a mobile phone account and as proof of residence if you are buying or leasing a car.

For further information about how we can assist you in finding, acquiring or renting your new home please contact us by calling 01962 793100 or email