What to expect when relocating to the UK with your company?


Most people relocating with their company move into long term executive rental apartments or houses. Carrying out an internet search for rental properties can prove frustrating, as multiple Letting Agents often advertise the same property and floor plans are rarely provided.

Even if you have previously visited the UK this is probably on holiday or visiting friends or family and a place looks completely different when you need to take into consideration traffic, commute times and costs, crime statistics and where to go for your hobbies and leisure pursuits.

The rental market moves fast so properties are often shown and advertised as available when in fact they have already been let and a deal has been agreed.

Unfurnished properties – you will find that the kitchen is usually fully equipped with the “white goods” cooker, fridge/freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer and possibly a dishwasher if space permits. Curtains and blinds will be fitted to the windows and the floor coverings will be provided carpets or wood flooring.

All properties should be professionally cleaned prior to the commencement of the tenancy, as all tenancy agreements in the UK state that it is the outgoing tenants responsibility to have the property professionally cleaned, however do ensure you add this to your “wish list” with the offer.

Furnished properties – are in the main less common as Landlords cannot charge a higher rent for a furnished property and they have to ensure that all furniture meets with the UK fire regulations. However the properties which are furnished often just have the large main items of furniture, such as bed, sofa, table and chairs.

Landlord/Landlady’s are often reluctant to provide a TV or sound system as it is another electrical appliance which they are responsible to have repaired or replaced if it goes wrong. In most instances you will still need to shop for crockery, cutlery, pots, pans, toaster, kettle, bed linen, duvets, pillows etc.

Letting Agents will not provide a list prior to a viewing so if a furnished property is important then you should ask as many questions as possible to find out what is and is not provided by the Landlord.

Tenancy Agreement and Inventory – these are both important documents. The Tenancy Agreement covers the legal terms and responsibility both the Landlord/Landlady have and you as a tenant have.

The Inventory or Check In Report is a schedule of the house or apartment, room by room and the condition of the room, walls, floor, light fittings, other fitments and fittings.

This should be prepared by an Independent Inventory Clerk a day or two before your tenancy commencement and can be e mailed or posted to your new home.

The report should be very accurate and detailed as the Inventory is the official document used when a tenancy ends to determine if any deductions are fair and reasonable from the security deposit (usually the equivalent of 6 weeks rent).

Official Documents in the UK – we have no National Registration or ID in the UK so it can prove difficult to open a bank account in the UK until you have a UK address. There are some banks which do offer ways around this however so of the accounts do have a monthly charge linked to them.


With Internet banking you can start a tenancy in the UK without a UK bank account. However companies such as Sky or Virgin Media will not let you open an account without a UK bank account.

Once you have moved into your property you will receive council tax, water rates, gas and electricity bills and these can then be used as your proof of address in the UK.

They will be required to register at a Doctors (GP) Practice, to get a mobile phone account and if you are buying or leasing a car.

For further information on our corporate relocation services, contact Barbara Sellers 01962 793100 or by email enquiries@premier-propertysearch.co.uk.